Sunday, March 22, 2015

Anxiety

I'm one of those people that can overthink anything.
If I think about any one thing long enough, I start to worry about it. I'll get anxiety over almost anything and it is draining.
Not only is it draining, but it's also very uncomfortable.
Sometimes stress out so much that I'll get clammy and my breathing becomes much shorter. Sometimes it feels like someone is pressing a hot rag against my whole body, making me feel closed off. Sometimes I feel like my mind is at war with itself and it won't stop wheeling at full speed. I can't unclench my fists. My muscles are locked tight.

This is not a good feeling.

Charles Spurgeon said, "Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but it only empties today of its strength"

This feeling is not coming from God. God does not want us to feel weak.

In 2 Timothy chapter 1 verse 7 it says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

I love this verse.

Just this last weekend I had sort of a brain meltdown. I become overly anxious. Something didn't feel right.
I was happy, but I was also being introduced to old and new stimuli and it was stressing me out. It was making me question the peace I had felt before.

Doing what I only knew how to make myself feel better, I decided to read some scriptures and say a prayer. Instead of the busy chatter that had been filling my mind, I began to think about the feelings God brings.
 I realized my feeling of initial peace is what was from Him. The feelings of wrongness and worry was not Him. I don't think it was God trying to tell me that I am headed down the wrong path. Instead, I think that was Satan trying to deter me from what I already knew.
Perhaps that was Satan's attempt to distract me; it was definitely a feeling I did not like.

God didn't make us a cowardly people, He built us to be both strong and peaceful. That's what he promotes.
So if you feel like you're at a disequilibrium, know that if you're following the Lord's path you will only find peace. Trust me, it's a good feeling.

Don't forget to be awesome!

No comments: