Saturday, February 7, 2015

Being Elected

We talk a lot about how the United States is a democracy and how great it is that we can vote and that the government is run by the people.

In my anatomy reviews, the TA always has a vote on what lectures we want to go over during the review. Whatever section gets the most votes, we end up covering/reviewing.
He always says, "Isn't democracy great?! We get to decide what to do in the most fair way possible"

I think voting is pretty great, and I wish people did it more. EVERYONE NEEDS TO VOTE.
(Here's a link to the spectacular Hank Green who talks about voting!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avj7XUDCdEk

Anyway, in Thessalonians 1, chapter 1, versus 2-5 it says,
"2 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers;
 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;
 Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God.
 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake."
In verse 4 it says "election of God" and you probably thought that it could mean "since we elected God we have all this patience and hope, etc, etc." 
I want to look at it in a different way. What if God is the one who elected us? Maybe He elected us to carry out His work (foreordination anyone?) I don't know about you, but I find great comfort in this. I feel like I'll always have a cheerleader throughout my life. There is someone who will always believe in me. He'll be at all my big games. He trusts me to make the right decisions, and He'll be there to encourage me when I fall. It's a pretty awesome feeling. 
As much faith and trust we have in God, I think He had faith and trust in us first. He voted for us to come down here and do what needed to be done.  He knew we could do it, and I think we can too. 
Don't forget to be awesome!

No comments: